Choosing the perfect lines: Aaron Tolley
The big THREE-OOOOH
3. Day job?
Freelance graphic designer.
4. What was your first mountain bike?
The first bike I rode was a Specialized HardRock, 2005. It didn’t last long, some kids knicked it in Bristol city centre and left me with a bright pink little girls bike to ride home on instead. Thieves – 1 : Self esteem – 0.
5. What bikes do you currently own?
Currently riding a Trek Fuel EX – in Project One blue, kindly supplied by Swinnerton Cycles on Cannock Chase.
6. What are your favourite trails?
It’s a secret, you know how these things are… if I told you, I’d have to kill you.
7. What is your favourite album or artist?
It changes every week, but my go-to classics are Blur’s ‘Modern Life is Rubbish’, and Beastie Boys ‘Paul’s Boutique’.
8. What was the best gig you’ve been to?
Pretty recently, I went to see The Temples. Incredible.
9. What’s your current tipple of choice?
I’m one of those… Home brewers. I like ale.
10. Why do you ride bikes?
So many reasons, but mainly because I like doing skids!
11. What does Northern Grip mean to you?
It means a weekend away riding bikes and sampling ale. This time without the added pressure of having to race the following day!
12. What are you looking forward to most at this years festival?
I’m pretty keen to take an e-bike out for a spin around Lee Quarry! I’ve heard they actually make going uphill fun?
13. What else, besides bikes, are you interested in?
TrailMaps.co.uk create stylish, contemporary designer maps of the UK’s best trails. Let your love of mountain biking take pride of place in your home. Take down that tatty old poster you got free in a magazine and treat your walls to a properly printed piece of artwork. Their prints are designed by riders, for riders. They also donate a proportion of their profits to volunteer trail building organisations… Good Work!
Check out all their maps here.