It’s just a few days to go to Northern Grip 2018, and we’re busy with the final arrangements to make our third year another unforgettable Grip.
Here’s some information to help you get your own plans sorted. There will also be an Official Programme and site map that you’ll also receive on the day.
STUBBYLEE PARK NOT LEE QUARRY
NOTE – the Northern Grip Festival site is NOT in Lee Quarry.
• The quarry is readily accessible off road from the Festival site on foot or by bike (about 10 mins by bike, 30 mins on foot).
ARRIVALS IF YOU ARE CAMPING
The Northern Grip FESTIVAL & CAMPING site is at: Stubbylee Park, Bacup, OL13 0DE
• Camping is available from 3PM FRIDAY until NOON SUNDAY.
• The entrance is via Stubbylee Lane, just off the A6066 where you will be met by Camping reception and will be able to obtain your Camping wristbands.
• Please only drive in to the Park site if you are camping and wish to unload your vehicle.
• On site parking for campers will be limited to one vehicle per pitch on a first come, first served basis.
• Any additional vehicles will need to be left at the Northern Grip PARKING site, 5 minutes away – see below.
• Note that all Campers over the age of 16 will require a camping ticket (tickets are per person – not per pitch).
ARRIVALS IF YOU ARE NOT CAMPING
Northern Grip PARKING is at: Futures Park, Bacup, OL13 0BB
• Doors open 10AM SATURDAY
• From the parking site it is a 5 minute walk round to Stubbylee park to the Northern Grip FESTIVAL site at Stubbylee Park, Bacup, OL13 0DE.
• The route will be signposted, but involves turning RIGHT out of the car park back to the main road, then staying on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the road, around into New Line and then right again through the entrance in to Stubbylee Park.
• Please make your way to the Information Point to receive your wristbands.
TICKETS ON THE DAY
• Tickets will be available on the day at a cost of £20 per Adult, £5 for Under 18s, FREE for Under 10s.
• Note that Under 16s will require an accompanying adult.
• Alternative Camping facilities are available at Lee Barn Farm – please ask the reception staff for details.
Showers are available from 3PM Friday until Noon on Sunday and will be closed from 10PM to 8AM each night.
Toilets are available throughout.
NO BARBECUES THIS YEAR PLEASE 🙁
As you may have seen on the news, several of the moors around the area are currently burning, creating a huge stress on local emergency services. Stubbylee Park itself is very dry and susceptible to fire. We will therefore not be allowing Barbecues, outside fires or flaming torches this year.
We have made provision for food to be available on site on Friday evening, all day Saturday and for breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday.
Please help us protect our site by being aware of any fire risk in the Park at this time.
All are welcome to join us from 6pm on Friday at the Sunken Garden when the bar will be open and the DJs in action for our opening night warm up.
Is available in the Sunken Garden from 8am on both Saturday and Sunday.
FOOD & DRINK
There will be a fully licenced bar open Friday 6pm – 11pm & Saturday 12pm – 11pm serving Northern Whisper Bunny Hop Ale, Bocholt Lager and a small range of other products. Food will be available all weekend from Health Shack, and Doughball Pizza with hot drinks, cakes & snacks provided by Coffee Vintage Co. TINCUP Whiskey will also be bringing their mining cart bar. Cash & card payments accepted.
• If you’re Camping on Friday night, why not come and join our outdoor Yoga Session in the Sunken Garden from 9AM on SATURDAY.
• Places are limited so it’s first come first served
• Bring your own Yoga mat
• Make sure you bring ID and credit card if you want to take out a shiny demo bike.
• Demos should be arranged with our event partners on site on the day, first come first served.
• We will have a recommended demo loop taking ~ 1 hour marked out for you in the quarry.
• We will have a range of route guides available in the Park, from easy peasy to really quite hard. Pick one up from the Information Point and go explore.
• Our “Best of Lee Quarry” recommended Demo Loop will be marked out for you in the quarry
• Otherwise Lee and Cragg Quarries both have a maze of amazing trails to explore by yourself.
• If you’re feeling more adventurous, strike out and explore the fantastic natural riding to be had on the hills all around our site.
Join us on Sunday at 10am for our legendary mass depart group ride. Be warned – it’s a bit of a monster!
As you probably know England will play Sweden in the World Cup at 3pm on Saturday so we’ll be rolling out a big screen so you won’t miss a minute of the game. Of course you can always just RIDE A BIKE instead.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
• We will have paramedics on standby at the quarry base throughout Saturday. Last year they were very busy!
• This was often a result of riders pushing the limits on demo bikes, especially e-bikes, sometimes because they were worried about getting back to the park in time.
• Please take it easy and always ride within your limits. We are not encouraging use of the black trails for demos, but the quarry is nevertheless a very rocky and unforgiving environment.
• For minor injuries on site we will have basic first aid provisions in the park.
• For serious incidents please always call 999.
is available in the Park from 7pm Friday to 10am Sunday. Use at your own risk, check your own insurance and bring your own lock.
Note that this year the bike storage area will be outdoors behind gates that are secured at night in an area covered by CCTV.
We will have on site security patrols throughout the event, including overnight on Friday and Saturday..
FILMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
Our team will be filming, photographing and posting via social media throughout the event. Please let us know on the day you’ve any concerns about starring in our next Instabanger.
We think that’s it – see you very soon